10 Tips to Celebrate Safely and Smartly this Fourth of July

PROMO 660 x 440 Flag - US Flag Fire Truck Ladder - Chris Sorensen
Published Sunday, July 2, 2017

Fireworks caused an estimated 11,900 injuries in the United States according to a Consumer Product Safety Council 2015 Fireworks Annual Report. Use the following tips to celebrate safely this Independence Day.

Leave Fireworks to the Professionals

  • Attend public fireworks displays and leave the lighting to the professionals.  The best way to protect your family is to attend a professional display.
  • If you plan to use fireworks, make sure they are legal in your area. In Colorado, you can use the general rule of thumb that anything that leaves the ground or explodes is illegal. However, local jurisdictions can add additional restrictions including a ban on all fireworks. Check with your local city or county law enforcement agency. 

Be Extra Careful with Sparklers

  • Sparklers can heat up to 1,200 degrees and are not safe for children to use. A safe alternative is to provide glow sticks for your children instead.
  • Always Closely supervise children around fireworks.  Never leave kids unattended around fireworks.

Take Necessary Precautions

  • Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks. Clothing can easily catch fire.
  • Point fireworks away from homes. Keep away from brush, leaves and flammable substances.
  • Check current fire restriction levels in your area.  Know the restrictions in place, including state and federal park or forest lands at http://www.coemergency.com/p/fire-bans-danger.html

Be Prepared for an Accident or Injury

  • Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it.  Put it out with water and dispose of it.
  • Always have a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
  • If a child is injured by fireworks, immediately go to a doctor or hospital. If an eye injury occurs, don't allow your child to touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage.

Safety Resources