From the 132-year history of the Kiowa County Press in Eads, Colorado.
From the 132-year history of the Kiowa County, Colorado, Press.
Author Kellen Cutsforth will be the featured speaker at the next meeting of the Bent's Fort Chapter of the Santa Fe Trail Association.
Free interpretive tour set for June 29 at the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site in Kiowa County, Colorado.
From the 132-year history of the Kiowa County, Colorado, Press for the week ending June 15, 2019.
Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site speaker series continues May 9 with a presentation by Loren Yellow Bird, Sr.
From the history files of the Kiowa County Press in Eads, Colorado, for the week of March 15
15 Years Ago
March 12, 2004
- The Kiowa County Hospital District would like to announce that their new Physician, Dr.Bilal Ahmand, has started practice at the hospital
- Wild Horse Roundup-Curtis Schrimp: Lee and I went to Kit Carson Monday to get our blood pressure check. The field west of Sorrento was blowing so you had to turn on your lights.
25 Years Ago
March 18, 1994
- Kristi Baxter was named tournament MVP by the Rocky Mountain News after the Lady Eagles won their second consecutive Class A championship title 7 the third such title in four years.
- Eads Town Manager Steve Rabe announced that the town will receive a $131,000 grant from the Colorado Department of Aviation's Discretionary Grant Fund to resurface the runway at the airport.
40 Years Ago
March 16, 1979
- Though the deadline is approaching for candidates to file for Nomination Petition and Notice of intent to run, there seems little interest shown in the Eads community.
- Eads high school Match-witz team will be appearing on channel 8 KTSC. The Eads students are the only class A school left in the quarter finals against Triple A schools.
- Senior Citizens News- Rhua Sloan and Ethel Johnson: Every chair was occupied in the Ceramics Room at the center in honor of Bessie Kelley's birthday.
50 Years Ago
March 14, 1969
- Mr. & Mrs. John A. Stavely were hosts to a steak dinner at the Haswell Cafe honoring the Haswell basketball team. The team had won 10 games, lost 4 and took home third place at the tournaments at Wiley and Kit Carson.
- Mrs. Raymond (Shirley) Wissel was named city champion of the Rock Springs, Wyoming, women's bowling tournament. Mrs. Wissel is the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. George Bickel of Haswell and daughter-in-law of Mr. & Mrs. Ward Wissel of Eads.
- Towner News: Due to the storm this week, there isn't much news
75 Years Ago
March 10, 1944
- A two-motored plane from the La Junta Air Base made a "belly landing" near the Lessenden farm northwest of Eads last Saturday afternoon. Report is they were lost, ran out of gas and made a force landing. The crew was not injured.
A transaction was completed for the purchase of the Strahan Cafe by Mr. & Mrs. Rol McDaniel. For more than 20 years Mr. & Mrs. H.C. Strahan have owned & operated the institution here., 2019.
The Bent's Fort Chapter of the Santa Fe Trail Association will hold its next meeting March 9 at the J. W. Rawlings Heritage Center and Museum, 560 Bent Avenue in Las Animas.
The Pilgrims were better equipped to survive than the let on.
The Bent's Fort Chapter of the Santa Fe Trail Association will meet Saturday, November 10, at the J. W. Rawlings Heritage Center and Museum located at 560 Bent Avenue in Las Animas. The general meeting will start at 11:00 a.m., followed by a catered lunch (cost $10).
At 1:00 p.m. Dr. Alexa Roberts, Superintendent, and Rick Wallner, Chief of Interpretation, at Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site will be the guest speakers.