Cooking at Home - Baked Beans
Makes: 6 servings
Double or triple this easy recipe to feed a crowd. It’s perfect for a picnic or potluck.
- 1 1/2 cups navy, kidney, or lima beans (dry, sorted, and rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard (dried)
- Combine apple juice and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add beans and simmer for 2 1/2 hours until beans are tender.
- Drain beans, reserve the liquid.
- Put beans and other ingredients in greased baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 250 °F for 3 to 4 hours.
- Uncover the last hour of baking and add some reserved liquid if beans become dry.
Source: The Bold and Beautiful Book of Bean Recipes, Washington State WIC Program
Serving Size: 1/6 recipe (234g)
Added Sugars included