Makes: 6 Servings
This dish can be baked in the oven or if you are short on time, pop it into the microwave. Use your favorite frozen or canned vegetables.
- 1 pound ground beef, 85% lean
- 4 potatoes
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables (or canned mixed vegetables)
- 1/4 cup cheese, low-fat shredded (cheddar or colby jack)
- 1/4 cup milk, 1%
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
- Cook ground beef in frying pan until brown. Rinse in warm water and drain to remove excess fat.
- Scrub potatoes and cut into slices without peeling.
- Place potatoes in a large baking or casserole dish. Top with vegetables, ground beef, and cheese.
- Pour milk over the casserole. Ad salt and pepper as desired.
- Cover with a lid or foil. Bake at 350degF for 1 hour or microwave in non-metal baking or casserole dish for 19-23 minutes on high.
- Try other favorite vegetables in place of mixed vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, peas, or corn.
Source: Iowa State University Extension. Spend Smart. Eat Smart.
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
Sodium 103 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Total Sugars 3 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 21 g
Vitamin D 0 IU
Calcium 72 mg
Iron 3 mg
Potassium 891 mg