Makes: 6 servings
- 4 potatoes (baking, peeled and cut in chunks, about 2 pounds)
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15 ounce, drained)
- 3/4 cup milk, non-fat (or fortified soy milk)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper (to taste)
1. Place the potatoes in a large sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to a simmer.
2. Add the garbanzo beans 10 minutes after potatoes start cooking. Continue cooking until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Drain water and place the sauce pan back on the stove. Mash the beans and potatoes using a potato masher or hand beaters.
4. Add the milk, cheese and seasonings.
5. Reheat if necessary. Serve hot.
Source: Food and Health Communications, Inc., Cooking Demo II
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 185 mg
Total Carbohydrate 41 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Total Sugars 5 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 10 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 117 mg
Iron 2 mg
Potassium 798 mg