Makes: 8 Servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Simmer eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, and tomatoes with onion, garlic, and seasonings for a delicious flavor in this classic dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion (peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 medium eggplant (peeled and diced into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 zucchini (diced into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces or use 2 cups of frozen zucchini)
- 1 red bell pepper (cored, seeded, and diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 1/2 cups canned low-sodium tomatoes (including the juice or fresh tomato)
- 1 lemon (quartered)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Put the pot on the stove over medium-low heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, basil, and oregano and cook, covered, until the eggplant is very, very soft, about 40 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve right away, garnished with lemon quarters and basil, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Source: USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 18 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Total Sugars 7 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 64 mg
Iron 2 mg
Potassium 580 mg