Makes: 6 servings
- 5 sweet potatoes (cooked)
- 4 apple
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Boil 5 sweet potatoes in water until they are almost tender.
- After the sweet potatoes cool, peel and slice them.
- Peel the apples. Remove the cores, and slice the apples.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease the casserole dish with butter or margarine.
- Put a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom of the dish.
- Add a layer of apple slices.
- Add some sugar, salt, and tiny pieces of margarine to the apple layer.
- Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 to make more layers of sweet potatoes, apples, and sugar/salt.
- On the top layer of apples, sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar and margarine pieces.
- Sprinkle the top layer with nutmeg.
- Mix the hot water and honey together. Pour the mix over the top layer.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until apples are tender.
Source: Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Program, Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network Website Recipes
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 322 mg
Total Carbohydrate 59 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Total Sugars 38 g
Added Sugars included 22 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 55 mg
Iron 1 mg
Potassium 494 mg