Cooking at Home - Apple Chunk Cake
Makes: 12 servings
Chunks of juicy apples fill this cake and fresh apples decorate the top.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups apple (diced, chunks)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2 cups apple (sliced, to place on cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil and eggs together. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Add to egg batter and mix well.
- Add apple chunks and applesauce to the batter. Stir to combine.
- Coat an 8x8 inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray, and pour in batter.
- Bake until done, about 1 hour.
- Place apple slices on top of apple cake and serve.
Batter will be very thick. This is normal.
Source: Healthy & Delicious: Simple Ways to Low Fat Chinese Cooking, San Francisco Department of Public Health, Chinatown Public Health Center
Serving Size: 1 piece (1 1/2 " x 2") (114g)
Added Sugars included