Cooking at Home - Arroz Con Pollo
Makes: 4 Servings
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
This stewed chicken and rice dish comes together with tomatoes and traditional seasonings. This one-pan meal is an all-time favorite.
- 4 6-ounce chicken thighs (bone-in, skin removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (cored, seeded, and chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (uncooked)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) low-sodium diced tomatoes (including liquid)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cube low sodium chicken bouillon
- To trim, lay chicken thighs on the cutting board, skin side up. Push the chicken down so the excess fat is on the cutting board (the excess is the part that isn’t right on top of the chicken). Using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, cut off excess fat and discard. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, and discard towels.
- Place the skillet over medium high heat and when it is hot, add the chicken thighs, skin side down and cook until browned, then flip, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Turn the heat off, carefully remove the chicken from the skillet and transfer to the plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Reheat the skillet over low heat and add the onion, pepper, garlic, cumin, and oregano and cook until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the uncooked rice and tomatoes and stir well.
- Add the water and bouillon cube and bring to a boil over high heat. Return chicken to pan, skin side down, turn the heat down to low and cover.
- Cook chicken for 20 minutes and then carefully flip so that the skin side is up.
- Cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve right away.
Source: USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
Serving Size: 6 ounces
Added Sugars included