Makes: 6 Servings
This recipe blends flavors and packs a nutritional punch as a source of iron, vitamin C, and fiber. Bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes bring color to the dish.
- 2/3 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 bell pepper, large (chopped)
- 1 onion, large (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes, low-sodium (14.5 ounces)
- 1 3/4 cups green salsa (or enchilada sauce, 1-16 ounce jar)
- 1 can pinto or kidney beans (rinsed and drained, 15 ounces)
- Place meat, bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion in large sauce pan, . Heat on medium 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until the meat is browned; drain fat.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cumin, cook until fragrant (15 seconds).
- Stir in salsa and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer; cover and cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and cook until heated.
Source: ONIE Project - Oklahoma Nutrition Information and Education. Simple Healthy Recipes.
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 623 mg
Total Carbohydrate 26 g
Dietary Fiber 8 g
Total Sugars 6 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 17 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 82 mg
Iron 4 mg
Potassium 812 mg