Cooking at Home - Bell Pepper and Vidalia Onion Strata with Fresh Salsa
Makes: 4 Servings
Prep time: 1 hour
Loaded with sweet Vidalia onions and bell peppers, this delicious baked breakfast or brunch dish can be assembled ahead of time, leaving just the baking for the morning.
- 1 Vidalia onion (divided)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (sliced vertically)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (sliced vertically)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- 4 slices whole-grain bread (4-6 slices, dry or toasted, cubed)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian blend cheese
- 10 cherry tomatoes (or 2 tomatoes)
- 1 garlic clove
- Pack rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 oF.
- Cut Vidalia onion into slices vertically; reserve about 1/4 of onion. Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Saute onion and pepper slices for 5-8 minutes, until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, milk, and pepper in large bowl, set aside.
- Spray 8' or 9' baking pan(squareor round) with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread cubes in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Add sauteed vegetables and pour in egg mix.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until set. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160 oF.
- While strata is baking, prepare salsa, by dicing and mixing cherry tomatoes, garlic, and remaining Vidalia onion.
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 189 mg
Sodium 371 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Total Sugars 8 g
Added Sugars included 1 g
Protein 19 g
Vitamin D 1 mg
Calcium 246 mg
Iron 2 mg
Potassium 463 mg