Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers the saturated fat content in this hearty dish.
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp celery, finely diced
2 Tbsp onion, finely diced
2 Tbsp green pepper, finely diced
1 package (10 oz) frozen whole kernel corn
1 cup raw potatoes, peeled, diced, and 1/2-inch
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1/4 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk, fat-free or low-fat (1%)
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan.
2. Add celery, onion, and green pepper and sautA(c) for 2 minutes.
3. Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Pour 1/2 cup of milk into a jar with tight-fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
5. Add gradually to cooked vegetables and add remaining milk.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 205 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 7 g
Carbohydrate: 31 g
Potassium: 455 mg