Makes: 6 Servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Fuel up with protein-rich tuna and colorful vegetables tucked into a pita pocket.
- 2 5-oz cans of low sodium tuna packed in water, drained
- 1 15-oz can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, cut in half
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced (optional)
- In a bowl, combine tuna with beans, corn, bell pepper, carrot, and onion.
- Add in lime juice, vegetable oil, salt, and spices and mix thorougly to combine.
- Place 1 cup of the tuna mixture in each pita half.
- Serve immediately.
- Dice 1 avocado and add to sandwch for a delicious spin.
- Want a creamier filling? Before stuffing the pockets, add 1 tablespoon of fat-free sour cream to each pocket.
- Instead of black beans, use chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or pinto beans.
- Instead of pita pockets, use whole-wheat tortillas or lettuce leaves for a quick and easy wrap!
Source: Summer Food, Summer Moves (FNS-607)
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Sodium 392 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Total Sugars 3 g
Added Sugars included N/A
Protein 17 g
Vitamin D 0 IU
Calcium 40 mg
Iron 3 mcg
Potassium 454 mg