Makes: 4 Servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
This frittata with its blend of colorful vegetables and fresh eggs makes a deliciously nutritious single-dish meal for breakfast, brunch, or supper.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium unpeeled red potatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups Italian kale, or other kale variety
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)
- Beat eggs, pepper, and salt in large bowl, set aside.
- Microwave potatoes until slightly soft, but not completely cooked, then cube. (Alternate method without microwave: cube potatoes and boil 5 minutes until slightly soft, drain)
- Chop remaining vegetables while potatoes cool. Mix vegetables together.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch non -stick skillet. Saute vegetables for 5-8 minutes; add to eggs and mix well.
- Pour egg-vegetable mixture into the same skillet. Cook over low to medium heat until eggs are almost set, about 8-10 minutes.
- Cover and let sit until eggs are completely set, about 5 minutes. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160oF.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with 8-oz glass of fat-free (skim) milk and 1/2 sliced orange.
Source: Produce for Better Health Foundation
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 185 mg
Sodium 240 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Total Sugars 3 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin D 1 mcg
Calcium 80 mg
Iron 3 mg
Potassium 900 mg