Makes: 15 servings Ingredients
- 2 cups flour (all purpose)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (low-fat)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (+ 1 teaspoon vegetable oil)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In small bowl, stir together buttermilk and oil.
- Pour over flour mixture and stir until well mixed.
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10-12 strokes.
- Roll or pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with a 2-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, dipping cookie cutter in flour between cuts.
- Transfer biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Source: US Department of Health and Human Services National Institutes of Health National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 146 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Total Sugars 2 g
Added Sugars included 2 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 51 mg
Iron 1 mg
Potassium 34 mg