Cooking at Home - Huevos Motuleños
A special breakfast when you have a little extra time.
- 1 cup pinto beans, dry
- 6 cups water
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 can low-sodium peas, drained (about 15 ounces)
- 4 ounces ham, cooked and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh tomato salsa
- Soak the pinto beans in 3 cups of water overnight in the refrigerator. Drain. Boil the beans in 3 cups fresh water until they are soft. Drain the water and mash the beans into a paste.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place tortillas on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from oven and let tortillas cool.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of mashed beans on each tortilla. Drain peas and put 1/4 cup of peas on top of beans. Add 2 tablespoons of diced ham on top of peas.
- Bake the tortillas for about 8 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix egg whites with vegetable oil.
- Cook the egg whites in a nonstick pan over medium heat until firm. Cut the egg into 8 pieces.
- Place baked tortillas on a plate. Cover ham and mashed beans with a piece of egg.
- Add 2 tablespoons of salsa on each tortilla, and serve two tortillas per person.
Source: A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods, USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
Serving Size: 2 tortillas de Huevos Motuleños
Added Sugars included