Makes: 4 Servings
Prep time: 45 minutes
Bring another serving of vegetables and important nutrients to your plate with this veggie-filled twist on classic fajitas. We've upped the vegetables ante by sauteing savory mushrooms and mixing them with steak for an umami-rich, flavorful punch. And we've sped up the preparation time for this Tex-Mex favorite, foregoing marinating the steak by using a tender cut.
- 12 ounces sirloin or other boneless steak (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon no-salt fiesta lime seasoning (divided)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup green bell pepper slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 tablespoons non-fat sour cream
- Slice beef across the grain into 1/4-inch strips. Place in a medium bowlwith 1/2 tbsp fiesta lime seasoning; toss to coat.
- Place mushrooms, peppers, and onion and remaining fiesta lime seasoning in a large bowl; toss to coat.
- Heat oil in large, non-stick skillet. Add beef strips; cook about 3-4 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Place coated vegetables in skillet and saute until vegetables are slightly tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add beef back to skillet and saute mixture 1-2 more minutes.
- Assemble fajitas by dividing beef-vegetable mixture evenly on each tortilla, top with remaining ingredients and roll up.
Source: Produce for Better Health Foundation
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 590 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Total Sugars 4 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 60 mg
Iron 2 mg
Potassium 829 mg