Makes: 12 servings
A great snack to make with kids. Perfect to dip in mustard for a savory pretzel, or a low-fat vanilla yogurt for a sweet treat.
1 tablespoon yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (100-110 degrees F)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
sesame seeds (2 Tablespoons, optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425degF. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
2. In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water (if water is too hot, it will kill the yeast). Stir until well blended.
3. Combine white and wheat flour in a separate bowl.
4. Stir in sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 21/2 to 3 cups flour to make a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough onto well-floured surface.
5. To knead, fold dough in half and push dough flat with heels of hands. Turn dough 1/4 turn. Repeat for 5 to 7 minutes. If needed, add more flour until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough should not stick to hands or counter.
6. Cut dough into 12 even pieces (about golf-ball size).
To Form Pretzels:
1. Roll one piece of dough into 15 inch long rope.
2. Cross left side over middle, creating loop.
3. Fold right side of rope up and over first loop to form pretzel shape.
1. Place pretzels 3 inch apart on baking sheet. Enlarge holes in pretzels by inserting finger into holes. This will prevent them from closing during baking.
2. In small bowl, mix egg and 1 Tablespoon water together. Brush on pretzels. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Best if eaten warm.
Each serving provides
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Total Sugars 1 g
Added Sugars included 1 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 12 mg
Iron 2 mg
Potassium 92 mg