Makes: 5 servings
This recipe can be enjoyed for any meal of the day. Spice it up with your favorite hot sauce.
- 5 potatoes (small, peeled and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable cooking spray)
- 1/2 onion (medium, minced)
- 1 zucchini (medium, sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups green/red peppers (sliced thin)
- 5 mushrooms (medium, sliced)
- 3 eggs (whole, beaten)
- 5 egg whites (beaten)
- Pepper and garlic salt with herbs (to taste)
- 3 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375degF.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- In a nonstick pan, add oil or vegetable spray and warm at medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until brown. Add vegetables and saute until tender but not brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat the eggs and egg whites, pepper, garlic salt, and mozzarella cheese. Stir egg cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.
- Oil or spray a 10-inch pie pan or ovenproof skillet. Transfer potatoes and eggs mixture to pan. Spread with parmesan cheese and bake omelet until firm and brown on top, about 20-30 minutes.
Source: National Diabetes Education Program, National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention., Control Your Diabetes. For Life. Recipes and Meal Planner Guide
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 121 mg
Sodium 238 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Total Sugars 4 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 17 g
Vitamin D 1 mcg
Calcium 188 mg
Iron 2 mg
Potassium 1052 mg