Makes: 6 Servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
This lasagna is a delicious summer version of a popular comfort food that made its debut in Italy during the Middle Ages. Zucchini, also called "green Italian squash," is a highly anticipated spring vegetable in Italy and they have incorporated it into numerous recipes. It is often chopped or diced and added to pizzas, pasta dishes, soups, and salads.
- 2 1/2 ounces Mozzarella cheese, low-fat, shredded (2 1/2 oz. equals 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup Cottage cheese, fat-free
- 3 tablespoons Tomato paste, canned, low sodium
- 1 cup Tomato sauce, canned
- 1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon Basil, dried
- 2 5/8 ounces Onions, fresh, peeled, 1/4" diced (2 5/8 oz. equals 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
- 2 cloves garlic, fresh, minced (1 clove is about 1/2 teaspoon minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, ground
- 1 1/2 cups Zucchini, fresh, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 3 3/8 ounces Lasagna noodles, enriched, oven ready (6 sheets)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, fresh, shredded
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degF.
- Reserve 1/3 cup of mozzarella cheese and set aside for later use.
- Make cheesy tomato sauce: combine remaining mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, tomato paste, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, onions, garlic, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Divide zucchini evenly into two parts, about 3/4 cup.
- Lightly coat a medium baking dish (about 8" x 8") with nonstick cooking spray.
- First layer: Spread 3/4 cup of cheesy-tomato sauce evenly on the bottom of each steam table pan. Cover sauce with 3 sheets of oven-ready lasagna noodles. Then, cover noodles with 3/4 cup of zucchini slices.
- Second layer: Repeat first layer.
- Third layer: Top layers 1 and 2 with the remaining cheesy-tomato sauce (about 3/4 cup) and then finish by sprinkling on the reserved shredded mozzarella cheese (1/3 cup) and the parmesan cheese (1Tbsp)
- Cover tightly with foil and bake until zucchini is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered until cheese starts to brown slightly, approximately 15 minutes. Heat to 140 degF for at least 15 seconds.
- Let lasagna stand 10 minutes before serving.
Critical Control Point: Hold at 140 degF or higher.
Source: CACFP Multi-Cultural Recipe Project - Team Nutrition: Adapted from http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/hearttruth/downloads/html/fa....
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Sodium 434 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Total Sugars N/A
Added Sugars included N/A
Protein 11 g
Vitamin D N/A
Calcium 68 mg
Iron 2 mg