Frito-Lay announced a voluntarily recall of select Jalapeno Flavored Lay's Kettle Cooked potato chips and Jalapeno Flavored Miss Vickie's Kettle Cooked potato chips due to the potential presence of Salmonella in the seasoning.
This action is the direct result of a supplier's recent recall of a seasoning blend which includes jalapeno powder that could contain Salmonella. Although no Salmonella was found in the seasoning supplied to Frito-Lay, the company has decided to recall these products out of an abundance of caution.
No illness related to this matter has been confirmed to date.
The products covered by this recall were distributed in retail stores and via foodservice, vending and other means across the United States.
The specific recalled product information is listed below:
- All sizes of the following two products that have a "guaranteed fresh" date of JUL 4 or prior printed on the front upper panel of the package:
- Jalapeno Flavored Lay's Kettle Cooked potato chips
- Jalapeno Flavored Miss Vickie's Kettle Cooked potato chips
- All of the following multipack offerings that have a "use by" date of JUN 20 or prior printed on the multipack package. In addition, a "guaranteed fresh" date of JUL 4 or prior is printed on the front upper panel of the individual recalled product packages inside each multipack offering. Any other products or flavors contained in these multipacks are not being recalled.
- 12 count Lay's Kettle Cooked Multipack Sack
- 20 count Frito-Lay Bold Mix Sack
- 30 count Miss Vickie's Multipack Tray
- 30 count Lay's Kettle Cooked Multipack Tray
- 32 count Miss Vickie's Multipack Box
No other flavors of Lay's Kettle Cooked potato chips or Miss Vickie's potato chips are impacted or being recalled. Jalapeno Cheddar Flavored Lay's Kettle Cooked 40% Less Fat potato chips are not impacted or being recalled.
Consumers who have purchased these recalled products are advised not to consume them. Frito-Lay is working with the FDA on this recall to ensure the recalled products are removed from store shelves and are no longer distributed.
Consumers can contact Frito-Lay Consumer Relations at 866-272-9393 for additional information from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST. For product reimbursement, consumers can visit www.jalapenochiprecall.com.