Pages from the Past - From our 136-year Archives for October 1, 2023
15 Years Ago
September 26, 2008
- Little Sprouts Childcare Center completed the Qualistar rating program and received a 3-star rating.
- Wild Horse Roundup- Curtis Schrimp: The end of summer party was held at the Hammer Ranch with a nice crowd that brought lots of good food.
- USDA Update- Rod Johnson: Most wheat in the county was planted in favorable surface moisture conditions adn is germinating.
September 25, 1998
- Scott Briggs at Haswell Co-op Elevator stated, “storage will be pretty tight at harvest. We have a lot of cash grain to be shipped out, but no where to go with it.”
- Wild Horse Roundup- Curtis Schrimp: I was taking care of Opal Nicols housecat, and what it did to a ball of yarn had to be seen. It got it out of a bag, went through the kitchen, down the hall to a bedroom, and back to the living room where it ran out of yarn. What a mess.
40 Years Ago
September 30, 1983
- A body of a man was found lying in the track bed approximately three miles west of Chivington by railroad officials.
- The newest small engine/automotive shop to open its doors is 4-0 Enterprise. Jim Offill is the owner of the establishment.
50 Years Ago
September 28, 1973
- Cattlemen, lawmen, judges, brand inspectors, and just plain interested citizens some 60 strong discussed means of apprehending rustlers.