Recipe - Bread in a Bag
Makes: 12 servings
This yeast bread recipe is a great way to engage learners both young and old.
2 cups flour (all-purpose)
1 cup flour (whole wheat)
3 tablespoons milk (powdered)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon yeast (rapid rise)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water (warm, 120 to 130 degrees F)
1 flour (as needed, extra, for kneading)
1. Combine flour, whole wheat flour, yeast, sugar, salt and powdered milk in a one gallon resealable freezer bag. Squeeze upper part of bag to force out air and seal bag. Shake and work bag with fingers to blend ingredients.
2. Add oil and warm water to dry ingredients. Reseal bag. Mix by working bag with fingers until dough is completely mixed and pulls away from bag.
3. On a floured surface, knead dough 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed. Put dough back into bag and let it rest 10 minutes.
4. Shape dough on greased baking sheet or put into a 4 inch x 8 inch greased loaf pan. Cover with a clean cloth or plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk.
5. Preheat oven to 350degF and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. (May take between 25 and 45 minutes to bake).
6. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack or clean dish towel.
Source: Montana State University Extension, Nutrition Education Programs, Montana State University Recipes
Total Fat4 g
Saturated Fat0 g
Total Carbohydrate27 g
Dietary Fiber2 g
Total Sugars4 g
Added Sugars included3 g
Vitamin D0 IU
N/A - data is not available