Makes: 6 Servings
This is a favorite southwestern dish. Serve with vegetables for lunch or dinner.
1 pound ground beef
1 onion (small,chopped)
1 bell pepper (chopped)
2 cans low-sodium tomatoes (diced, drained, about 30 ounces)
1 cup macaroni (uncooked)
2 1/2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
1 can low-sodium kidney beans (drained)
1. In a large pan, cook ground beef over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
2. Add onion, green pepper, and tomatoes to ground beef and cook until onion turns light brown.
3. Turn down the heat to a simmer. Add macaroni, tomato juice, spices, and beans to the pan. Stir well.
4. Cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat, stir, and serve hot.
Tip for cooking ground beef: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for ground beef is 160 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
Source: Adapted from a recipe by Phyllis Blackbear, Cheyenne & Arapaho Tribes FDP.