Makes: 6 Servings
6 slices bread, whole wheat
4 ounces cubed turkey
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk, 1%
1 can cream of mushroom soup, low-sodium (10.75 ounces)
2 slices bread, whole wheat
2 teaspoons margarine
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, low-fat shredded (or jack cheese)
1/2 cup mayonnaise, light
1. Lightly coat a 9x9x2-inch baking dish with vegetable spray. Cut 6 slices of bread (fresh or day-old) into 1-inch cubes and place half into the bottom of a baking dish.
2. In a bowl, combine turkey, onion, celery, mayonnaise, and pepper. Spoon mixture over bread crumbs.
3. Place remaining bread cubes over turkey mixture and press down slightly with spoon.
4. Combine eggs and milk and pour mixture over cubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325degF
6. Spoon soup over top of casserole.
7. Spread one teaspoon margarine on side of each slice of bread. Cut buttered bread into 1/2-inch cubes and sprinkle on top of casserole.
8. Bake for 60 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese over top. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Source: University of Illinois Extension. Wellness Ways recipes
Total Fat11 g
Saturated Fat3 g
Total Carbohydrate28 g
Dietary Fiber3 g
Total Sugars8 g
Added Sugars includedN/A
Vitamin D1 mcg
N/A - data is not available