Ag stats: October 2021 mountain states region chickens and eggs report

PROMO 660 x 440 Animal - Chicken Eggs Carton - wikimedia
Published Thursday, November 25, 2021

COLORADO 

Colorado egg production during October 2021 was 121.3 million eggs, up 4 percent from September 2021 but down 12 percent from October 2020 production, according to the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The average number of layers on hand in October 2021 was 4.85 million, up 4 percent from September 2021 but down 8 percent from last year. Eggs per 100 layers were 2,499 eggs, down 4 percent from last year. 

UTAH 

Utah egg production during October 2021 was 153.1 million eggs, up 3 percent from September 2021 and up 18 percent from October 2020 production, according to the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The average number of layers on hand during October 2021 was 5.92 million, up 3 percent from September 2021 and up 18 percent from last year. Eggs per 100 layers were 2,587 eggs, unchanged from last year. 

UNITED STATES 

United States egg production totaled 9.61 billion during October 2021, up 1 percent from last year. Production included 8.32 billion table eggs, and 1.29 billion hatching eggs, of which 1.21 billion were broiler-type and 73.8 million were egg-type. The average number of layers during October 2021 totaled 390 million, up 1 percent from last year. October egg production per 100 layers was 2,465 eggs, up slightly from October 2020. 

Total layers in the United States on November 1, 2021 totaled 392 million, up 1 percent from last year. The 392 million layers consisted of 327 million layers producing table or market type eggs, 61.9 million layers producing broiler-type hatching eggs, and 2.97 million layers producing egg-type hatching eggs. Rate of lay per day on November 1, 2021, averaged 79.5 eggs per 100 layers, down slightly from November 1, 2020. 

Egg-type chicks hatched during October 2021 totaled 45.9 million, down 9 percent from October 2020. Eggs in incubators totaled 46.7 million on November 1, 2021, up 5 percent from a year ago. Domestic placements of egg-type pullet chicks for future hatchery supply flocks by leading breeders totaled 252 thousand during October 2021, up 28 percent from October 2020. 

Broiler-type chicks hatched during October 2021 totaled 811 million, up 1 percent from October 2020. Eggs in incubators totaled 701 million on November 1, 2021, up 5 percent from a year ago. Leading breeders placed 8.57 million broiler-type pullet chicks for future domestic hatchery supply flocks during October 2021, up 6 percent from October 2020.

KiowaCountyPress.net may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase products or services through links in an article. Prices, when displayed, are accurate at the time of publication but may change over time. Commissions do not influence editorial independence.

The Kiowa County Press is an independent newspaper published in Eads, Kiowa County, Colorado, and to the world at KiowaCountyPress.net.