Makes: 12 Servings
Extra loaves can be frozen, and they will still taste as good when thawed.
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 packages active dry yeast (1/2 package for each loaf)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups warm water
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup brown (or white) sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix 1/4 cup warm water, sugar, yeast and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Let rise for about 5 minutes.
3. Add 2 1/4 cups warm water, 5 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup while wheat flour, oats, salt, brown sugar, and oil and mix well.
4. On a clean and dry flat surface, sprinkle flour and knead dough until it is not sticky. This may take an additional cup of while wheat flour.
5. Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until it has doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Gently knead dough a couple of times. Divide dough evenly and form into 3 oval loaves.
7. Spray three 9-by-5 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray, and place a loaf in each pan. Allow dough to rise until it reaches the top of the pans.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Do not overbake. Cut each load into 12 slices.