Cooking at Home - Spicy Southern Barbecued Chicken
- Makes: 6 servings
This recipe is spiced up using cayenne pepper, ginger, and garlic combined with the sweetness of honey, molassess, and ketchup to create a tasty comfort food.
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/3 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken (skinless breasts, drumsticks)
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in saucepan.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken on large platter and brush with half the sauce mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove plastic wrap from chicken. Place chicken on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 10 minutes on each side to seal in juices.
- Remove from broiler and add remaining sauce to chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Source: US Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
Serving Size: 1/2 breast or 2 small drumsticks (89g)
Added Sugars included