Makes: 4 Servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Fresh asparagus, mandarin oranges, chicken, and brown rice make perfect compliments in this Asian-influenced salad.
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mandarin orange juice (reserved from oranges)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
For the Salad:
- 3 1/3 cups fresh asparagus (trimmed)
- 2 cans 11 oz cans mandarin oranges (drained, reserve juice)
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breast (cut into chunks)
- 3 cups cooked instant brown rice
- In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients, set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Place whole trimmed asparagus in a large skillet with 1 1/2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2-5 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a medium size bowl, toss all ingredients.
Weekly Meal Planning Tip: When you're planning a dinner with chicken, cook up extra chicken breast and refrigerate for later use in this salad.
Source: Produce for Better Health Foundation
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 300 mg
Total Carbohydrate 51 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Total Sugars 12 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 33 g
Vitamin D 0 mg
Calcium 63 mg
Iron 3 mg
Potassium 737 mg