Chili and spice seasoning give this seafood stew a punch of flavor. Serve it with brown rice for added whole grains.
2 potatoes (medium)
1 can tomatoes, cut up (14.5 oz)
1 cup onion (chopped)
1 cup clam juice (8-oz bottle, or water)
1 cup water
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 head of cabbage (coarsely chopped)
1 pound catfish fillets
green onion (sliced, as needed)
1 1/2 servings Chili and Spice Seasoning
2 cups rice, white (or brown, cooked)
1. Peel potatoes and cut into quarters.
2. In large pot, combine potatoes, tomatoes and their juice, onion, clam juice, water, and garlic. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Cook covered over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add cabbage and return to boil. Reduce heat. Cook covered over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, cut fillets into 2-inch lengths. Coat with Chili and Spice Seasoning(link is external).
5. Add fish to vegetables. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.
6. Serve in soup plates. Garnish with sliced green onion, if desired. Serve with scoop of hot cooked rice.
*Reduce the sodium by using low- or no-added-sodium canned tomatoes.
Makes: 4 servings
Source: US Department of Health and Human Services, A Healthier You: Based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Each serving provides
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 313 mg
Total Carbohydrate 59 g
Dietary Fiber 8 g
Total Sugars 10 g
Added Sugars included 1 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin D 0 IU
Calcium 134 mg
Iron 5 mg
Potassium 1330 mg