A delicious bread that requires no dairy products such as milk, eggs or butter. For an interesting twist, add spices such as Italian seasoning, for even more flavor and aroma.
- 1 cup warm (not hot) water
- 2 1/8 teaspoons of dry activated yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or honey)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread or all-purpose flour, plus additional flour for kneading
- Dry Italian seasoning mix to taste
- Dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast. Allow to proof for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, olive oil and 1 cup flour to water. Stir to create a wet dough (optional - add seasoning and stir).
- Slowly incorporate remaining flour into the dough, stirring throughout.
- Lightly flour a large chopping board or other clean, smooth surface and knead dough for 5-7 minutes until dough surface is smooth and slightly dry to the touch (not sticky). Add flour as needed.
- Place dough in a large, well-oiled bowl. Turn dough to lightly coat with oil. Cover bowl with a light cotton towel and let rise in a slightly warmed oven for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough, knead lightly, then shape to a loaf and place in a loaf pan. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- While dough is rising, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place loaf pan in the pre-heated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Rotate the loaf pan after 15 minutes for even baking.
- Turn out bread on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
Tip: place a small, oven-proof pan of hot water in the oven at the start of baking to steam the crust and improve texture. Remove after 15 minutes when rotating the loaf pan.