Makes: 9 servings
Try these muffins for breakfast or as a snack during the day. Use fresh fruit when in season - frozen or canned fruit works too!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, low-fat
- 2 tablespoons margarine (melted)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (coarsely chopped, or other fruit, fresh or frozen)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non--stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir well until all ingredients are blended.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, margarine, egg, and vanilla. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients (made in step #3).
- Using a large spoon, gently stir ingredients just until moist (do not over-mix). Add fruit and stir gently (do not over-mix).
- Spoon batter evenly into 9 muffin cups.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold. Muffins may be frozen for later use.
Source: Kansas State University Research and Extension, Fix it Fresh! Recipe Series
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 192 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Total Sugars 8 g
Added Sugars included 5 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 64 mg
Iron 1 mg
Potassium 95 mg