Makes: 4 servings
This quick and easy one pan dish is full of veggies, spices, and flavor.
- 3/4 pound ground beef (lean, 10% fat)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (large, chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 2/3 cup kidney beans (canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup corn (sweet)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 1 cup tomatoes (chopped fresh)
- 1 dash blackpepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Wash your hands and work area.
- Place ground beef in a skilletsprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Brown meat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to break it into pieces. Drain fat and blot meat with paper towels. Transfer beef into a colander and rinse with very hot water to further remove fat.
- Add green pepper, onion, and celery. Cook until softened.
- Add beans, corn, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, pepper, garlic and chili powder.
- Cook mixture over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot in bowls. Or serve as a dip with baked tortilla chips or on a bun.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Source: Kansas State University Research and Extension, Fix it Fresh! Recipe Series
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 54 mg
Sodium 413 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Total Sugars 7 g
Added Sugars included 0 g
Protein 21 g
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Calcium 53 mg
Iron 4 mg
Potassium 805 mg