Cooking at Home - Red Beans and Rice
Makes: 8 servings
This flavorful dish is a Monday night tradition in many homes. This vegetarian recipe uses dry beans, onion, pepper, and spices.
- 2 cups red beans, dry
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (optional)
- 2 teaspoons thyme (crushed, dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup red bell pepper (chopped - could also use green pepper)
- hot cooked rice
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Rinse beans thoroughly.
- In a 5-quart pot, mix beans, water, onion, celery and bay leaves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir and mash beans against side of pan.
- Add garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, black pepper, and green pepper.
- Cook uncovered, over low heat, until creamy, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Source: Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe (359g)
Added Sugars included