Cooking at Home - Tuscan-Style Pasta with Cannellini
- Makes: 4 Servings
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Pasta is the perfect partner for nutrient-rich vegetables. High in fiber, this Tuscan-style pasta dish is gently tossed with a vegetable trio - fresh escarole and flavorful, canned cannellini beans and tomatoes.
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 1/4 cups curly escarole (1/4 pound, sliced)
- 16 ounces cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes with juice (undrained)
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (thinly sliced)
- Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook until slightly browned (less than a minute).
- Add escarole; stirring occasionally until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes with their juice and wine.
- Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in basil and heat through.
- Drain pasta and toss with the sauce.
- Save money by using canola oil in place of olive oil.
- Use any of your favorite hearty leafy greens in place of escarole, such as collards, chard, or spinach.
Added Sugars included