15 Years Ago
December 6, 2002
- USDA announced an extension of emergency grazing of Conservation Reserve Program acreage in Colorado, Texas, Utah and Washington to Dec 31, 2002.
25 Years Ago
December 3, 1992
- Towner News - Ann Harkness: Over the weekend, a winter storm brought between 4 & 5 inches of snow.
- About Town - Ida Lessenden: Our hearts go out to the travelers who were caught in the blizzards last week & to all the victims of the tornadoes.
- Sheridan Lake News - Wilma Eitel & Debbie Harris: The snow is starting to melt after all the storms. We need the moisture but sure could have done without the wind.
40 Years Ago
December 9, 1977
- Clinton L. Evans of the east end, Bill B. Buck of Eads, and Don Briggs of Haswell were top vote getters in the Agricultural Stabilization & Conservation Service's community committee election.
- Net farm income in Colorado dropped another 22% in 1977, providing the lowest return to farmers since 1971 & constituting a 55% drop in income from the "good year" 1974.
- The Plainview Band uniform fund was given a sizable boost when a donation of $500 was received from Mr.& Mrs. Theo Boulware.
- Kathlyn Forster of Eads was honored with a surprise luncheon in Lamar. Mrs. Forster was presented an engraved silver tray for her faithful Cancer Society service to Kiowa County & southeastern CO.
50 Years Ago
December 8, 1967
- The annual meeting of Eastern Slope Rural Telephone held in Eads deemed a success with over 130 people attending. This was the first meeting held in Eads since the acquisition of the Eads exchange in January 1967.