Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
Black beans and cooked rice are used as the base of these delicious burgers. Flavored with scallions, garlic and spices, these are sure to please the whole family.
1 can 15.5 ounce low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed with cold water)
1 large egg
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2 scallions (green and white minced about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro (or basil leaves or a combination)
1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 whole-wheat buns
1. Add beans to a bowl and mash with a fork until chunky. Add the egg and mix well.
2. Add precooked rice, scallions, garlic and oregano, salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
3. Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each portion into a patty about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
4. Place a large skillet on the stove on high heat. When the skillet is hot, add oil. Add burgers and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side until browned on both sides and heated throughout. Place on a whole wheat bun.
- Use old-fashioned rolled oats, leftover cooked barley or Panko breadcrumbs instead of prepared rice.
- Serve with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, low-fat cheese, or low-fat yogurt.
Source: USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
Total Fat5 g
Saturated Fat1 g
Total Carbohydrate47 g
Dietary Fiber12 g
Total Sugars4 g
Added Sugars included3 g
Vitamin D0 mcg
N/A - data is not available