Ag stats: April 2021 mountain states chickens and eggs report

PROMO 64S Agriculture - Stats Statistics Tablet Symbols Farm Ranch - iStock - monkeybusinessimages
Published Friday, May 21, 2021

COLORADO 

Colorado egg production during April 2021 was 128.3 million eggs, down 8 percent from March 2021 and down 5 percent from April 2020 production, according to the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The average number of layers on hand in April 2021 was 5.19 million, down 3 percent from March 2021 and down 5 percent from last year. Eggs per 100 layers were 2,474 eggs, down less than one-half percent from last year. 

UTAH 

Utah egg production during April 2021 was 141.8 million eggs, down 4 percent from March 2021 but up 22 percent from April 2020 production, according to the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The average number of layers on hand during April 2021 was 5.73 million, up 4 percent from March 2021 and up 23 percent from last year. Eggs per 100 layers were 2,475 eggs, down 1 percent from last year. 

UNITED STATES 

United States egg production totaled 9.19 billion during April 2021, up 1 percent from last year. Production included 7.93 billion table eggs, and 1.27 billion hatching eggs, of which 1.19 billion were broiler-type and 75.8 million were eggtype. The average number of layers during April 2021 totaled 389 million, down 1 percent from last year. April egg production per 100 layers was 2,360 eggs, up 2 percent from April 2020. 

Total layers in the United States on May 1, 2021 totaled 386 million, down 1 percent from last year. The 386 million layers consisted of 319 million layers producing table or market type eggs, 64.4 million layers producing broiler-type hatching eggs, and 3.02 million layers producing egg-type hatching eggs. Rate of lay per day on May 1, 2021, averaged 78.5 eggs per 100 layers, up 3 percent from May 1, 2020. 

Egg-type chicks hatched during April 2021 totaled 59.9 million, down 2 percent from April 2020. Eggs in incubators totaled 53.3 million on May 1, 2021, up 8 percent from a year ago. 

Domestic placements of egg-type pullet chicks for future hatchery supply flocks by leading breeders totaled 266 thousand during April 2021, up 9 percent from April 2020. 

Broiler-type chicks hatched during April 2021 totaled 820 million, up 6 percent from April 2020. Eggs in incubators totaled 716 million on May 1, 2021, up 8 percent from a year ago. 

Leading breeders placed 8.11 million broiler-type pullet chicks for future domestic hatchery supply flocks during April 2021, down 1 percent from April 2020.

KiowaCountyPress.net may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase products or services through links in an article. Prices, when displayed, are accurate at the time of publication but may change over time. Commissions do not influence editorial independence.

The Kiowa County Press is an independent newspaper published in Eads, Kiowa County, Colorado, and to the world at KiowaCountyPress.net.