Ag stats: December 2020 mountain states sheep, lamb and goat inventory report

PROMO 64S Agriculture - Stats Statistics Tablet Symbols Farm Ranch - iStock - monkeybusinessimages
Published Saturday, January 30, 2021

ARIZONA 

The January 1, 2021 inventory of all sheep and lambs in Arizona totaled 110,000 head, up 5 percent from January 1, 2020, according to the January 1 Sheep and Goat Survey conducted by the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The number of breeding sheep and lambs increased by 1 percent from last year to 81,000 head while market sheep and lambs increased by 16 percent to 29,000 head. The number of replacement lambs were unchanged at 17,000 head. The number of ewes one year old and older were unchanged from last year at 60,000 head. The number of rams one year old and older, at 4,000 head, is up 1,000 head from last year. Of the 29,000 head of market sheep and lambs, 6,000 head were market sheep and 23,000 head were market lambs. There were 9,000 lambs weighing less than 65 pounds this year, up 1,000 head from a year earlier; 4,000 head were in the 65-84 pound weight group, up 2,000 head from the previous year; 5,000 head weighed 85-105 pounds compared with 4,000 head last year; and 5,000 head weighed over 105 pounds compared with 6,000 head in this weight group on January 1, 2020. The 2020 lamb crop, at 39,000 head, was up 11 percent from the 2019 lamb crop. Wool production in Arizona during 2020 totaled 470,000 pounds, unchanged from the previous year. The number of all sheep and lambs shorn, at 70,000 head, was up 4 percent from 67,000 head shorn a year earlier. The value of wool production for 2020 totaled $423,000, and was down 18 percent from a year earlier as producers received $0.90 per pound of wool sold compared with $1.10 per pound the previous year. 

Angora goat inventory was unchanged from last year at 21,000 head. Meat and other goats accounted for 32,000 head on January 1, 2020, down 3 percent from last year. Mohair production in Arizona totaled 84,000 pounds, down 12 percent from the previous year. The number of angora goats clipped at 21,000 head, was unchanged from last year. The value of mohair production for 2020 totaled $101,000, and was down 19 percent from the previous year as producers received $1.20 per pound of mohair sold compared to $1.30 the previous year. 

COLORADO 

The January 1, 2021 inventory of all sheep and lambs in Colorado totaled 445,000 head, up 5 percent from January 1, 2020, according to the January 1 Sheep and Goat Survey conducted by the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The number of breeding sheep and lambs increased by 8 percent from last year to 210,000 head while market sheep and lambs increased by 2 percent to 235,000 head. The number of replacement lambs increased 3 percent to 35,000 head. The number of ewes one year old and older increased 8 percent from last year to 169,000 head. The number of rams one year old and older, at 6,000 head, is up 1,000 head from last year. Of the 235,000 head of market sheep and lambs, 3,000 head were market sheep and 232,000 head were market lambs. There were 5,000 lambs weighing less than 65 pounds this year, up 2,000 head from a year earlier; 22,000 head were in the 65- 84 pound weight group, up 3,000 head from the previous year; 56,000 head weighed 85-105 pounds compared with 45,000 head last year; and 149,000 head weighed over 105 pounds compared with 160,000 head in this weight group on January 1, 2020. The 2020 lamb crop, at 190,000 head, was up 3 percent from the 2019 lamb crop. Wool production in Colorado during 2020 totaled 2.50 million pounds, up 6 percent from the previous year. The number of all sheep and lambs shorn, at 370,000 head, was up 10 percent from 335,000 head shorn a year earlier. The value of wool production for 2020 totaled $5.25 million, and was down 14 percent from a year earlier as producers received $2.10 per pound of wool sold compared with $2.60 per pound the previous year. 

Meat and other goats accounted for 24,000 head on January 1, 2021, compared with 23,000 head last year and milk goats totaled 8,000 head, compared with 9,500 head a year ago. 

MONTANA 

The January 1, 2021 inventory of all sheep and lambs in Montana totaled 200,000 head, unchanged from January 1, 2020, according to the January 1 Sheep and Goat Survey conducted by the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The number of breeding sheep and lambs increased by 1 percent from last year to 173,000 head while market sheep and lambs decreased by 7 percent to 27,000 head. The number of replacement lambs increased 9 percent to 37,000 head. The number of ewes one year old and older decreased 1 percent from last year to 130,000 head. The number of rams one year old and older, at 6,000 head, is unchanged from last year. Of the 27,000 head of market sheep and lambs, 2,000 head were market sheep and 25,000 head were market lambs. There were 2,000 lambs weighing less than 65 pounds this year, down 1,000 head from a year earlier; 8,000 head were in the 65- 84 pound weight group, up 4,000 head from the previous year; 10,000 head weighed 85-105 pounds compared with 16,000 head last year; and 5,000 head weighed over 105 pounds compared with 4,000 head in this weight group on January 1, 2020. The 2020 lamb crop, at 169,000 head, was down 2 percent from the 2019 lamb crop. Wool production in Montana during 2020 totaled 1.56 million pounds, up 3 percent from the previous year. The number of all sheep and lambs shorn, at 180,000 head, was up 6 percent from 170,000 head shorn a year earlier. The value of wool production for 2020 totaled $3.43 million, and was down 9 percent from a year earlier as producers received $2.20 per pound of wool sold compared with $2.50 per pound the previous year. 

NEW MEXICO 

The January 1, 2021 inventory of all sheep and lambs in New Mexico totaled 85,000 head, down 11 percent from January 1, 2020, according to the January 1 Sheep and Goat Survey conducted by the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The number of breeding sheep and lambs decreased by 13 percent from last year to 69,000 head while market sheep and lambs were unchanged at 16,000 head. The number of replacement lambs decreased 11 percent to 16,000 head. The number of ewes one year old and older decreased 12 percent from last year to 50,000 head. The number of rams one year old and older, at 3,000 head, is down 1,000 head from last year. Of the 16,000 head of market sheep and lambs, 3,000 head were market sheep and 13,000 head were market lambs. There were 3,000 lambs weighing less than 65 pounds this year, unchanged from a year earlier; 5,000 head were in the 65-84 pound weight group, up 2,000 head from the previous year; 3,000 head weighed 85-105 pounds compared with 4,000 head last year; and 2,000 head weighed over 105 pounds compared with 3,000 head in this weight group on January 1, 2020. The 2020 lamb crop, at 41,000 head, was unchanged from the 2019 lamb crop. Wool production in New Mexico during 2020 totaled 600,000 pounds, down 2 percent from the previous year. The number of all sheep and lambs shorn, at 80,000 head, was unchanged from a year earlier. The value of wool production for 2020 totaled $1.08 million, and was down 16 percent from a year earlier as producers received $1.80 per pound of wool sold compared with $2.10 per pound the previous year. 

Angora goat inventory was unchanged from last year at 9,000 head. Mohair production in New Mexico totaled 25,000 pounds, unchanged from the previous year. The number of angora goats clipped at 7,000 head, was unchanged from last year. The value of mohair production for 2020 totaled $38,000, and was up 15 percent from the previous year as producers received $1.50 per pound of mohair sold compared to $1.30 the previous year. 

UTAH 

The January 1, 2021 inventory of all sheep and lambs in Utah totaled 285,000 head, unchanged from January 1, 2020, according to the January 1 Sheep and Goat Survey conducted by the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The number of breeding sheep and lambs increased by 2 percent from last year to 245,000 head while market sheep and lambs decreased by 11 percent to 40,000 head. The number of replacement lambs increased 11 percent to 42,000 head. The number of ewes one year old and older were unchanged at 195,000 head. The number of rams one year old and older, at 8,000 head, is up 1,000 head from last year. Of the 40,000 head of market sheep and lambs, 3,000 head were market sheep and 37,000 head were market lambs. There were 1,000 lambs weighing less than 65 pounds this year, unchanged from a year earlier; 1,000 head were in the 65-84 pound weight group, down 1,000 head from the previous year; 13,000 head weighed 85-105 pounds compared with 14,000 head last year; and 22,000 head weighed over 105 pounds compared with 24,000 head in this weight group on January 1, 2020. The 2020 lamb crop, at 230,000 head, was unchanged from the 2019 lamb crop. Wool production in Utah during 2020 totaled 2.08 million pounds, down 3 percent from the previous year. The number of all sheep and lambs shorn, at 235,000 head, was down 2 percent from 240,000 head shorn a year earlier. The value of wool production for 2020 totaled $3.95 million, and was down 12 percent from a year earlier as producers received $1.90 per pound of wool sold compared with $2.10 per pound the previous year. 

WYOMING 

The January 1, 2021 inventory of all sheep and lambs in Wyoming totaled 340,000 head, unchanged from January 1, 2020, according to the January 1 Sheep and Goat Survey conducted by the Mountain Regional Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA. The number of breeding sheep and lambs increased by 2 percent from last year to 270,000 head while market sheep and lambs decreased by 7 percent to 70,000 head. The number of replacement lambs is unchanged at 43,000 head. The number of ewes one year old and older increased 2 percent from last year to 220,000 head. The number of rams one year old and older, at 7,000 head, is unchanged from last year. Of the 70,000 head of market sheep and lambs, 3,000 head were market sheep and 67,000 head were market lambs. There were 2,000 lambs weighing less than 65 pounds this year, down 2,000 head from a year earlier; 6,000 head were in the 65-84 pound weight group, down 1,000 head from the previous year; 34,000 head weighed 85-105 pounds compared with 25,000 head last year; and 25,000 head weighed over 105 pounds compared with 37,000 head in this weight group on January 1, 2020. The 2020 lamb crop, at 230,000 head, was up 2 percent from the 2019 lamb crop. Wool production in Wyoming during 2020 totaled 2.27 million pounds, up 3 percent from the previous year. The number of all sheep and lambs shorn, at 250,000 head, was unchanged from a year earlier. The value of wool production for 2020 totaled $5.34 million, and was down 10 percent from a year earlier as producers received $2.35 per pound of wool sold compared with $2.70 per pound the previous year. 

UNITED STATES 

All sheep and lambs inventory in the United States on January 1, 2021 totaled 5.17 million head, down 1 percent from 2020. Breeding sheep inventory at 3.78 million head on January 1, 2021, decreased 1 percent from 3.81 million head on January 1, 2020. Ewes one year old and older, at 2.96 million head, were 1 percent below last year. Market sheep and lambs on January 1, 2021 totaled 1.39 million head, unchanged from January 1, 2020. Market lambs comprised 94 percent of the total market inventory. Market sheep comprised the remaining 6 percent of total market inventory. The 2020 lamb crop of 3.21 million head was down 1 percent from 2019. The 2020 lambing rate was 108 lambs per 100 ewes one year old and older on January 1, 2020, unchanged from 2019. 

Shorn wool production in the United States during 2020 was 23.1 million pounds, down 4 percent from 2019. Sheep and lambs shorn totaled 3.28 million head, down 1 percent from 2019. The average price paid for wool sold in 2020 was $1.66 per pound for a total value of 38.4 million dollars, down 15 percent from 45.4 million dollars in 2019. Sheep death loss during 2020 totaled 210 thousand head, down 4 percent from 2019. Lamb death loss was down 5 percent from 388 thousand head to 370 thousand head in 2020. 

All goats and kids inventory in the United States on January 1, 2021 totaled 2.58 million head, down 3 percent from 2020. Breeding goat inventory totaled 2.12 million head, down 3 percent from 2020. Does one year old and older, at 1.57 million head, were down 3 percent from last year's number. Market goats and kids totaled 465 thousand head, down 3 percent from a year ago. Kid crop for 2020 totaled 1.66 million head for all goats, up 1 percent from 2019. Meat and all other goats totaled 2.05 million head on January 1, 2021, down 2 percent from 2020. Milk goat inventory was 420 thousand head, down 3 percent from January 1, 2020, while Angora goats were down 10 percent, totaling 117 thousand head. Mohair production in the United States during 2020 was 589 thousand pounds. Goats and kids clipped totaled 113 thousand head. Average weight per clip was 5.2 pounds. Mohair price was $5.07 per pound with a value of 2.99 million dollars. 

All sheep and goats inventory and lamb and kid crop estimates for January 1, 2020, were reviewed using official slaughter, import and export data, and the relationship of new survey information to the prior surveys. No revisions were made to sheep and lambs inventory and no change was made to the lamb crop. A revision of less than 1 percent was made to goats and kids inventory and no change was made to kid crop at the United States level. State level estimates were reviewed and changes were made to reallocate inventory estimates to the United States total.

KiowaCountyPress.net may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase products or services through links in an article. Prices, when displayed, are accurate at the time of publication but may change over time. Commissions do not influence editorial independence.

The Kiowa County Press is an independent newspaper published in Eads, Kiowa County, Colorado, and to the world at KiowaCountyPress.net.