PROMO Energy - Natural Gas Flame Stove Burner - iStock - FotoCuisinette

Colorado’s Low-income Energy Assistance Program begins accepting applications November 1

© iStock - FotoCuisinette

Colorado’s Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP), a federally funded program that helps eligible Coloradans pay a portion of their winter home heating costs, opens for the season on Nov. 1 and will accept applications through April 30, 2024. 

LEAP, a statewide program, helps eligible individuals and families pay winter home heating costs by making a one-time payment directly to the utility company on behalf of each LEAP-eligible household. Last season, a record 89,000 Colorado LEAP recipients received an average benefit of $559.29.

“Coloradans who use natural gas to heat their homes are expected to spend less on heating this winter compared to last winter,” says Theresa Kullen, LEAP manager. “And while this is good news, inflation is still high, forcing many Coloradans to choose between food, rent, medicine and a warm home. LEAP can help offset these financial pressures. We encourage anyone who thinks they may be eligible to apply and take advantage of LEAP’s many benefits.”

To qualify for LEAP, Coloradans may have an income up to 60 percent of the state median income, equating to a household income of less than $71,112 a year for a family of four. Additionally, LEAP recipients must pay home heating costs directly to a utility company or landlord as part of their rent and have at least one U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident of the U.S. living in the household.

In addition to home heating assistance, LEAP recipients may be eligible to receive furnace repair and replacement in heat-related emergencies and weatherization services pending the results of a home energy audit. 

To apply for assistance, visit the LEAP website. Online applications are processed through the Colorado PEAK system. You can also call the HEAT HELP line at 1-866-HEAT-HELP (1-866-432-8435) to receive an application via mail or email; or you can visit your county human services office to pick up or drop off an application.