Cooking at Home - Fresh Tomato Sauce
Makes: 6 servings
Fresh vegetables are cooked with herbs to create a flavorful and savory sauce for pasta, and other dishes, too!
- 8 tomatoes (ripe)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 cup carrot (thinly sliced, or shredded)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (dried)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- pepper (to taste)
- 6 cups pasta (cooked)
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Wash the ripe tomatoes. Cut out stem ends. Chop into small pieces and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add onion, green pepper, carrots and garlic. Stir-fry until tender, about three minutes.
- Add seasonings and tomatoes. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Lower heat and simmer gently, uncovered, until tomatoes turn to a sauce, about 40 minutes. Serve over freshly cooked pasta.
Source: Connecticut Food Policy Council, Farm Fresh Summertime Recipes
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Added Sugars included