Published Friday, April 22, 2022
Kiowa County is enacting Stage 1 Fire Restrictions, effective at 12:01 AM, on Saturday April 23, 2022, for unincorporated Kiowa County
The fire ban PROHIBITS:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using an open fire, campfire, or stove fire. This includes charcoal barbecues and grills.
- EXCEPT: Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed recreation sites, and on private lands along with the use of portable stoves, lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, pressurized liquid fuel or a fully enclosed (sheepherder type) stove with a 1/4" spark arrester type screen is permitted.
- Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least 10 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Operating a chainsaw without a USDA or SAE approved spark arrester properly installed and in effective working order, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher kept with the operator and one round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use.
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame except in cleared areas of at least 10 feet in diameter and in possession of a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher.
- Using an explosive.
- Parking motorized vehicles in grass or vegetated area that can come in contact with the underside of the vehicle
/s/ Forrest Frazee
Kiowa County Sheriff