Highway 350 in Otero County will close 21 days for construction
The Colorado Department of Transportation and CapitalTezak JV will implement a 21-day closure with an approved detour beginning at 9:00 a.m. October 23 for replacement of a bridge located on U.S. Highway 350 southwest of La Junta.
The bridge, originally built in 1935 and is structurally deficient and obsolete, will be replaced with a concrete box culvert. The closure will be complete by November 13.
The bridge replacement work will occur on U.S. 350 between mile posts 59.5 and 72. The structure, which spans over the Otero Ditch Canal is located three miles southwest of the U.S. 50 junction in La Junta.
The purpose of the 21-day closure is to limit construction duration, increase crew and motorist safety, and minimize impacts to the Otero Ditch Canal. A detour will be in place.
Variable message boards, signs and construction devices will be present alerting motorists of the closure and detour route. The closure/detour provides minimal construction impacts and will prevent unnecessary disturbance to the Otero Ditch Canal. The closure is part of the Region 2 Bridge Bundle project that began in 2022.
In addition, a traffic switch on US 350 for construction on a structure east of Trinidad is scheduled to occur Monday, Oct. 16. Traffic will be switched to a signalized, single-lane detour structure configuration between mile post 10.0 and 10.5 for approximately three months.
Traffic Impacts & Detour Route
- Full closure of US 350, between mile post 59.5 to 72.
- Detour route: use CO 71 and CO 10. County Road Y and access to local properties will remain open.
- The 21-day closure will be in place beginning 9 a.m., Monday, Oct. 23 and run continuously until Monday, Nov. 13.
- Motorists can expect to add approximately 10 miles and 10 additional minutes of travel time with the detour.
- Signalized, alternating single lane traffic between mile post 10.0 and 10.5 east of Trinidad beginning October 16 for approximately three months.
- Lane closures and other traffic notices are posted weekly to COtrip.org.
- Lane closures and shoulder closures are possible before and after the closure.
- All construction schedules are weather dependent and subject to change.
- Motorists are reminded to drive slowly and obey the posted speed limit.