Pages from the Past
15 Year Ago
December 16, 2005
- Kiowa County Sheriff Forrest Frazee presented a $340 check to Baby Bear Hugs staff member Shelly Engelhardt. The funds were proceeds from a dance the Sheriff's Office sponsored during the fair and will be used to provide child safety seats.
25 Years Ago
December 15, 1995
- Commissioner Cardon Berry stated that efforts continue to protest the proposed abandonment and all possible options to keep the railroad are being explored.
- East End Events- Plainview 6th Grade: There will be town team volleyball matches Dec 13 and 20 at the Plainview School.
- About Town- Ida Lessenden: Another house on our block bit the dust as giant machines splintered and smashed the Lane house.
40 Years Ago
December 12, 1980
- Santa will be at a local store Friday evening 6:00-9:00 pm. Then, on December 20, Santa will arrive downtown Eads with his "sleigh" full of treats for all good little girls and boys.
50 Years Ago
December 11, 1970
- Most people realize the cost of merchandise, labor and supplies are increasing. Effective January 1,1971, subscription rates increase by $1. Anywhere in Colorado will be $4. Outside of Colorado moves to $4.50.
75 Years Ago
December 7, 1945
- During the past few years, the population of Kiowa County District #2 has increased to such an extent that in order to comply with the Statute of the State of Colorado, it became necessary to re-divide the population of Districts 1, 2, and 3 in such a manner as to equalize the area.
100 Years Ago
December 10, 1920
- A 7,000-pound howitzer, six-inch bore and barrel seven feet in length, mounted on a carriage and belonging to the Field Artillery, is on the way to Eads. The cannon is a gift to Eads and the county at large. The cannon will probably be placed on the courthouse lawn.