Pages from the Past - From our 134-year Archives for October 3, 2021
15 Year Ago
October 6, 2006
- As the West End Turns- Michelle Wyckoff: The West End Golden Oldies and their fearless leader had an excellent dinner that was cooked in a cream can.
- About Town- Melissa Peterson and Doris Lessenden: Many remember the passenger trains stopping in Kiowa County on the way to Pueblo. Zelda Peterson and her mother use to take the train to Pueblo to spend the day and return on the train that evening.
25 Years Ago
October 4, 1996
- Kiowa County Commissioners J.D. Wilson, Dutch Eikenberg and Cardon Berry joined Dr. Eduardo Avalos and Charles Bogan to break ground at the site of the new Newsham’s feed mill in Brandon.
- Wild Horse Roundup- Curtis Schrimp: I read in the Denver paper the eclipse couldn’t be seen anywhere in Colorado, but Lee watched it from our east window til it covered the moon.
October 2, 1981
- Two Colorado Division of Wildlife officials died when their single-engine plane crashed near Arlington. No cause for the crash has been determined and the FAA is conducting the investigation.
- Final approval for the Eads Senior Citizen Housing Complex has finally been received.
50 Years Ago
October 8, 1971
- The first oil discover in more than a year has been made in Cheyenne County in the Cheyenne Wells field.
- According to the Colorado Health Department, Kiowa County ranks sixth in the state’s birth rate with 26 live births per 1,000 population recorded here last year.