Pages from the Past - From our 136-year Archives for August 20, 2023
15 Years Ago
August 15, 2008
- USDA Update- Rod Johnson: Heavy hail pounded the Prairie Queen area causing extensive crop loss and damage to some farmsteads.
- About Town- Melissa Peterson & Doris Lessenden: George Ellicott didn’t have many ears of corn at the Community Market because his garden had been invaded by hungry ravenous raccoons.
25 Years Ago
August 14, 1998
- Eads Board of Trustees a review of the police report showed there had been recent attempted burglaries. Office Ray has a suspect but not enough evidence to make an arrest.
40 Years Ago
August 19, 1983
- The project entitled “Pioneer Women-Kiowa County” has reached its goal of obtaining the biographies and stories of 100 pioneer women who lived in the county prior to 1920.
- The Weisbrod Auxiliary will be selling certificates which will entitle your family to have a 10x13 color portrait made.
50 Years Ago
August 19, 1973
- Beef was totally absent from Crow’s Stop & Shop. Proprietor Gary Crow said we won’t have any beef until after September 17, when the beef ceilings go off.