Pages from the Past - From our 136-year Archives for September 3, 2023
15 Years Ago
August 29, 2008
- Buckley States was selected Silver King and Pansy Foxworthy was named Silver Queen Runner Up at the Ark Valley Silver King and Queen contest. They represented Prairie Pines Assisted Living Community.
- For the first time the Colorado State Fair Junior Livestock Sale will be broadcast live on the internet.
25 Years Ago
August 28, 1998
- Nursing Home News- Nellie Nickert: The Ladies tea and bingo make for a busy day to start the week, not to mention therapy and some have bath day.
40 Years Ago
September 2, 1983
- A fire at the Horn Home at 1209 Maine St. Eads, caused extensive damage to the structure and contents.
- Donald Oswald, Kit Carson, won the championship trophy at the State Fair for 10 heads of grain sorghum.
50 Years Ago
August 31, 1973
- Eastern Slope Rural Telephone Association is going to a one-party line across the entire system.
- In view of the overall meat shortage, it was feared “bacon flavored” would be used. Gary Crow revealed bacon would be available.
75 Years Ago
- Boulware Mercantile was destroyed by fire this past week. Lewis Woelk, manager, said all that was saved was the firm’s ledger.
100 Years Ago
- Lightning struck and killed four head of cattle for Emmett Smith and a horse for C.L. Hemphill.