Outdoors - Colorado Parks Wildlife Mountains Baca National Wildlife Refuge - USFWS

Purchasing a Snowmobile, OHV or Boat? Be Sure to Get Proof of Ownership, Required for Registration in 2017

Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Colorado Parks and Wildlife reminds anyone planning to purchase a boat, OHV or snowmobile that after Jan. 1, 2017, a new regulation requires that the buyer demonstrate proof of ownership before it can be registered. Failure to show proof of ownership will prevent the completion of the registration.

If planning to purchase this year, CPW recommends to all new owners that they ask for a bill of sale during the transaction. For convenience, CPW offers a bill of sale template, available online.

If proof of ownership cannot be obtained, a physical inspection of the craft will be necessary and can be performed at any CPW office.

The bill of sale must include:

•Both the seller and buyer's printed names and signatures

•The vessel/vehicle identification number - if known  

•The vessel/vehicle make, model and year - if known

•Date of the sale

Other forms of proof of ownership include:

•Previous registration certificate issued by a governmental entity that lists the applicant as registered owner

•Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)/Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO)

•Certificate of Title

•Any court issued document proving ownership

•A physical inspection form completed by a CPW agent

Boats and off-highway vehicles must be registered with Colorado Parks and Wildlife, including motorcycles, dirt bikes, three-wheelers, ATVs and dune buggies that are operated on public land or trails in Colorado.

For additional details, visit the registration page at CPW's website, or call your local CPW office.