Colorado State University Crops Testing has announced the details for the 2023 Wheat Field Days tour.
They are made possible by farmer-cooperators, seed company and industry partners, and members of the CSU Department of Soil and Crop Sciences, CSU Dept. of Agricultural Biology, the Agricultural Experiment Station, CSU Extension, Colorado Wheat, and the USDA-ARS.
There are a great set of public and private wheat varieties to show off in the field trials and characteristics of these varieties will be shared at each field day.
CSU faculty and experts will share the latest information and research relating to various aspects of wheat such as breeding, variety trials, entomology, pathology, seed programs, soil fertility, and forage use. Industry representatives will provide wheat market updates and seed company representatives will share information about their varieties.
The field days will be held June 1 at Walsh, Lamar, and Brandon; June 2 at Burlington and Genoa; June 5 at Wiggins, Roggen, and Orchard; and June 6 at Julesburg, Yuma, and Akron.
- 8:30 a.m. - Walsh - CSU Plainsman Research Center, breakfast provided. Directions: From west side of Walsh, north 4 mi on Rd 43, west 1.5 mi on Rd HH. Research station on south side of Rd HH. GPS: 37.4346, -102.3193
- 12:00 p.m. - Lamar - Stulp Farms, lunch provided by Farm Credit of Southern Colorado. Directions: From Hwy 385/287 in Lamar, go 5 mi south on Hwy 385 to CR CC, turn west and go 1/2 mile to plots. GPS: 38.01225, -102.623
- 4:30 p.m. - Brandon - Scherler Farms, dinner provided by Cargill of Cheyenne Wells. Directions: From Hwy 96 east of Brandon, north 5.75 miles on CR 59, east side of road. GPS: 38.5319, -102.4354
- 8:00 a.m. - Burlington - Hinkhouse Farms, breakfast provided by Stratton Equity Co-op. Directions: From I-70 exit 438, go west on Hwy 24/Rose Ave for 1/4 mile, then north on Hwy 385/8th St. for 1 mile. Turn east on CR W, field on south side of road. GPS: 39.3152, -102.2584
- 11:30 a.m. - Genoa - Homestead Farms, lunch provided by Pachner Agri Enterprises. Directions: From I-70 exit 371, go north on CR 31 for 5.9 miles, then west on CR 3N for 1 mile. Field on SW corner of intersection with CR 30. GPS: 39.3595, -103.5108
- 11:00 a.m. - Orchard - Wickstrom Farms, lunch provided. Directions: From Hwy 14 go south on CR 105/MCR 4 for 11 miles. Go west on MCR HH for 1/2 mile, field on north side. GPS: 40.4814, -104.079
- 2:00 p.m. - Hoyt Irrigated - Cooksey Farms LLC, refreshments provided. Directions: From I-76 exit 66A, take Hwy 52/CR5 south 12 miles and follow Hwy 52 curve to the west, west 2 mi to CR 3, south 5 miles to CR A, west 1/2 mile, south 1/2 mi on trail between pivot circles, field on east side. GPS: 39.9953, -104.1039
- 4:00 p.m. - Roggen - Cooksey Family Farms, dinner provided. Directions: From Prospect Valley, take Hwy 52 east 7 miles to CR 83, then south 1/4 mile. Field on east side of road. GPS: 40.0708, -104.2814
- 8:00 a.m - Julesburg - Carlson Farms LLC, breakfast provided by Carlson Grain Company. Directions: From I-76 exit 172 (Ovid), south on CR 29 for 6 mi to CR 14. East on CR 14 for 2.4 mi (from Hwy 385 go west 5.7 mi on CR 14) to farm yard and shop on south side. Plot tour after meal. GPS: 40.83526, -102.336
- 11:30 a.m. - Yuma - Andrews Brothers Farms, lunch provided by Andrews Brothers Seed. Directions: From Yuma, take Hwy 34 east approx 3 miles to CR J. Go north 4.7 miles. Trial on east side. Do not park in fields. GPS: 40.18605, -102.6592
- 2:30 p.m. - Akron - USDA-ARS Central Plains Research Center. Wheat stem sawfly panel from 2:30-3:30, wheat plot tour from 3:45-5:00, dinner to follow. Directions: Meet at USDA shed north of hwy. From Akron, east on Hwy 34 for 4 mi to CR GG. Turn north on CR GG, and take first turn to west towards shop. GPS: 40.1533, -103.1372.