Cooking at Home - Candied Yams
Makes: 6 servings
Enjoy this side dish for a Thanksgiving treat or anytime yams are in season.
- 1 1/2 cups yams
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon flour (sifted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon orange peel
- 1 teaspoon margarine, unsalted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender, but firm (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of sliced yams in medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot with half the amount of margarine.
- Add second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Source: Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style, US Department of Health and Human Services, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Serving Size: 1/4 Cup (66g)
Added Sugars included